Monday, August 12, 2013

Dimoni Wheat Beer

Confession: I'm not a huge wheat beer guy. I appreciate the style, and on a hot summer's day or evening I do enjoy it, but it doesn't rank in my top 10 styles. In saying so, the following review is as objective as I can be. Having returned home from an evening run, I decided the time was ripe for a nice wheat. Today's choice: Dimoni's Wheat beer. A nice choice. For a while i've been meaning to drink more of Dimoni's beers. A local Badalona beer (The city pushed up against Barcelona's northern border, just across the Besos River), the brewers seem to have a firm grasp on what they are doing and how they are going about doing it.

With a nice wheat beer color, notes of vanilla and fruits in the nose, the beer poured nicely even with the bottle fermentation. It was a very solid beer, well done and balanced, and at 4.3%  not overpowering the way some of the wheat beers can be when it seems like the brewer is trying to prove something. Not this one, it just went down beautifully with a nice lingering aftertaste that was pleasantly zingy without being overpowering. Perhaps not my favorite wheat beer of the Catalan microbrews, but certainly a beer I will have no problem repeating or recommending to those who are fans of the style, or are simply looking for a nice beer to quench their thirst on a summer's day along the Mediterranean coast.

No comments: